Spintronics Community Forum

"Quick Fix" extra knots inside the knob... how?

A couple of messages from Upper Story on the Kickstarter page and now an email they sent out I assume to all the preorders and backers suggests adding a few extra knots to the string inside the battery knob… but I can’t figure out how to get it open. I guess the cap is a separate piece, but I have no idea how to separate it from the knob itself.

Pull the string out a bit and engage the circuit breaker. This way you have a bit of wire to work with.
The bronze end of the wire is two parts. Use a thin tool like a knife to separate the parts and tilt the piece with the knot to remove it from the other.

There doesn’t seem to be any glue or anything connecting the two parts, you can just pull them separate. Here’s an image of what it looks like. EDIT: I just looked at my e-mail, and saw Paul sent out a very similar image. I tied the extra knot on the other side of the cap. Both will prevent the pulling through, but I think my method is better since it will also keep the little loop on the cap from breaking (since it reduces the tension there).
battery-fix

Man, those things are really stuck together on my battery… tried wedging them apart with a knife, but only succeeded in nearly stabbing my fingers. I think I’ll just take my chances with the string and fix it if it actually becomes a problem, unless anyone knows an easier way to get them apart.

You’re doing this after engaging the circuit breaker, right? They were pretty easy to separate on mine, taking your chances sounds like a sensible option.

Yeah, the circuit breaker is engaged, it’s just that the cap is basically flush with the outer knob, so there’s nothing to grab onto to separate them.

I had the same problem, getting them seperated. Finally I use a needle to push from the other side.
Then it was easy.
(By the way the loop was broken already before I even used it, but fortunely the string was still there.)

Hey y’all, do this ASAP. I was doing challenge 31 and when i tried to let the tension out of the circuit the string pulled in so fast it broke the part the string is tied to! If i hadnt had the extra knots in there I would have a broken battery.

Aha! Pushing a needle through the string hole allowed me to easily pop off the cap from the inside, thank you! Fortunately everything looked fine in there, but I tied a nice big knot just in case and put it back together :slight_smile:

1 Like