Spintronics Community Forum

So, anyone want to try and build a spinograph?

Minor spoilers for the latter half of Act 2. You have been warned.

The spinograph is a (fictional) spintronic device which Natalia builds which is the equivalent of the telegraph. It makes me wonder- How big would an actual, real spinograph be? Could we make a desktop sized model like the one Natalia has? What encoding does it use? Are there inherent strengths unique to Spintronics that would help in decoding, that wouldn’t work with conventional electronics? What printing mechanism does it use? What does a spinograph relay tower look like?!

I’d love to see ideas like these explored in a later act, but in the mean time, I wonder what could be done with what we already have. I’d definitely need way more parts than I can afford to even prototype it, but given that Natalia and her family, canonically, use custom bigger or smaller parts when needed, I might even give that a shot.

If I knew what I was doing had the time for it, I’d design some smaller transistors and (less reliable but cheaper) resistors designed for low-voltage logic that could be printed on my consumer-grade FDM 3D printer. Anyone else here interested in similar endeavours?

1 Like