Spintronics Community Forum

The ammeter and the hard of hearing

I’m hard of hearing (not deaf). My wife tells me the ammeter make a “screeching sound”. I have used a decibel meter and it does give different results for different resistors. I have no idea what the corrolation is between volume and pitch. . . . I only have volume to go on. does anyone have any idea if there is an app or something that differentiates between pitch and volume?

Hey @bilbocroft !
For the sake of the puzzles with the ammeter, volume and pitch correlate in the following manner:

Higher current = faster revolution = louder volume = higher pitch
Lower current = slower revolution = quieter volume = lower pitch

So you should be able to use a decibel meter just fine for working through the book. If you’re interested in deep diving and want a tool to give you pitch and loudness, there are several out there (not sure which platform you’re using) that provide an FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) graph. For Android, I use Spectroid. Spectroid also has an FFT sonogram (which shows the changes in intensity of different pitches over time), which might make visualizing the response of the ammeter even easier.

Hope this helps! If not let me know.

Hi Aaron, thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. You confirmed what I suspected that volume and pitch would be paired. I am an Apple user, fortunately there is something similar to Spectroid. . . . thank you again for drawing my attention to that possibility. When I’ve gone through the learning curve I’ll let you know if it does the business.
It’s a pity there isn’t something visual on the ammeter like a dimming and brightening light. Can’t have it all.

I look forward to hearing how it works out for ya. This is an area that we’ve been looking at a bit and I’ll let you know that there is a version of the ammeter in the works that uses visual indication.

How loud should it be? It is almost just a slight tick on slower resistors? The chain seems to be almost as loud as the ammeter. Does this sound correct?

Sorry about the delay in replying. . . . You may have missed the part about me being hard of hearing. I don’t hear any sound it makes this is why I was hoping for something visual.